As many know, I am going to be up in Berkeley for this fall quarter to study under Dr. Evelyn Nakano Glenn and Dr. Michael Omi as I prepare for my dissertation proposal. Since this will certainly be an intellectual journey, I thought I would also attempt to improve myself physically and mentally (in a non-academic way). As such, I am instituting 90 days of change. 90 days of change has four (maybe five) components:
1. Ruminations and writings on the dissertation proposal
2. The Dana and Paul Project (18 Items of Clothing for 3 months)
3. Shopping Embargo (actually instated prior to the 90 days and will continue after)
4. P90X
5. Maybe...return to some of my poetry writing and performance.
Obviously, the dissertation proposal is the main reason for me to come to Berkeley. This should, and will, take top priority. Hopefully, I will not bore you with too many posts about my research...but it may happen from time to time. I look forward to comments and feedback in this less rigid and less strictly academic space.
The Dana and Paul Project is a permutation of the Fashion Diet of 6 Items or Less for 30 days. I am simply taking advantage of the fact that I will be away from the majority of my wardrobe at least until Thanksgiving and hopefully lightening my packing load. However, I hope that this will also reveal some important lessons in simplifying my life, my closet, and other possessions. There is a separate blog for this project where both Paul and I post...the link is listed above.
The shopping embargo, which compliments the Dana and Paul project quite nicely, began as a result of me moving back to my parents house. The process made me realize (at least) one thing...I have a lot of crap. So, I put myself on a shopping embargo which includes pretty much anything you wear/carry. Of course, another added bonus to this embargo is the money that will be saved...what grad student can't benefit from that?
On the physical end of the spectrum, I will also be undertaking P90X, or some similar facsimile. This is mostly because I am too cheap to buy an actual gym membership and hopefully will be able to do the workouts in Katie's living room/my bedroom. We shall see how that works out. I will also continue playing soccer in the Bay and recently joined a team in a local co-ed league. I basically signed up for this time blind...so hopefully that all works out as well. I am debating on whether or not this portion of the project should include pictures of my progress...but wonder if its really a good idea to have so many people see pictures of me without a shirt on...more to come on this debate and feel free to chime in.
And lastly, and most uncertain, is the return to poetry. I still write from time to time when the mood strikes me, but I am thinking I could be more regimented. I am not entirely sure how all of this will fit into my new schedule, but I will do my best. I am sure my good friend in Berkeley, Margaret Rhee, will push me to pursue this aspect...so that will also help.
Speaking of time constraints, yes, I realize this is a lot to try to accomplish in 90 days. But really, I think I am just trying to prove something to myself. I feel like I could be more productive with my time and I could just be an all-around better person. Hopefully this 90 days will help in that pursuit. So, feel free to follow along and let me know your thoughts, they are much appreciated.
1 comment:
My excitement for the shopping embargo and P90X knows no bounds.
It kind of inspires me to do the same thing...but not so much that I'll do it. I bought two bracelets today. Eff.
Post a Comment