Saturday, August 21, 2010

Long Distance Love Song

This is a piece I wrote a while back, but I thought it was fitting given my ambivalent feelings about leaving home again...even for a short while.


Here I am
Once again
Saying good-bye
To you
My love

An occurrence to frequent to be accidental
You must wonder how I remain faithful
I always return to you
Changed but somehow
Untouched

I will have walked cold winter streets
Framed by concrete giants, man’s monstrosity
Stealing light earlier than nature intended
I begin to think this excursion, this experiment
Lasted five years longer than was necessary
Forgetting, or willing myself believe
That I would be willing to give up any of these moments

The holidays
The special days
The Mondays, the Thursdays
And the late night phone calls
Tell me I have lost much more than a mere three hours
The cycle repeats

To be honest
I am tired of leaving
Tired of the 2 and 2 packing scheme
Tired of the short stays and long good-byes
Looking to you through distant windows
And yet
I can’t seem to stay
Seem born to run
In search of a dream
A freedom I have yet to find

I will miss your warm kiss
Once on each cheek
My forehead
As I close my eyes on breeze-cooled beach sands
I will miss your long shadows challenging palm trees too tall for their own good
Refusing to fall

We refused to fall

My chest feels heavy from the altitude change at take off, my ears pop
I will look out the window
You look so small
So simple, so put-together
You will go on without me
You will understand my transient ways
Because you know it will only make me love you that much more

We stabilize
My chest is still heavy
My heart is still heavy
As this plane keeps flying
Creating miles between you and me
I begin to wonder if the heart knows proximity
If the heart knows the difference between 300 and 3000 miles
I feel your pull
Tapping my shoulder in reminder
Come back to me soon
Come home soon

I have left you in the darkness
Under the cover of night so you may not realize I am gone
When sunlight hits again there will be no cheeks, no forehead to kiss good morning
You will remember me
Because I am yours
That I am you, where ever my feet are planted should be of no surprise
You will wake up to the new day without me
And I will wake in a new bed
But live each tomorrow knowing that
I will always come back for you

No comments: